ECG To Introduce Automated Meter Reading Technology
• The Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) is to introduce a new metering system called Automated Meter Reading (ARM), which will allow ECG to communicate with the meter from their offices without having to visit where they are stationed.
• The new meters, also called the Smart Meters, will allow the ECG to engage disconnections and get notifications when the meter is tampered with.
• Ing. Mrs. Sariel A. Etwire, section manager of metering services of ECG, announced this in Accra at a meeting with editors organized by the Public Utilities Regulatory Commission (PURC).
• The smart metering would also phase out the variety of meters already in existence.
• The move is to monitor the meter 24 hours in their office without necessarily going to the customer’s house.